MDDC Reese Cleghorn Summer Internship Program
MDDC’s Reese Cleghorn Internship program supports developing college-student journalists by providing experience in newsrooms in Maryland, Delaware or the District of Columbia through 8-week paid summer internships.
Application period is Oct. 7 to Nov 18, 2016.
Apply for an internship.
Submit a reference.
Students with a strong career interest in print journalism (and associated platforms) who have completed a college-level course in one of these areas or have equivalent experience on a college or community publication. Open to undergraduates either:
- attending any Maryland, Delaware, or the District of Columbia four-year college/university, OR
- a resident of Maryland, Delaware or District of Columbia attending a four-year college/university elsewhere
- Applicants must have the use of an automobile during the internship and be living within a reasonable driving distance of their assigned news media organization.
- Assignments will be made to participating news media organization as near as possible to the residences of the selected applicants.
- Interns will be paid $300 a week after taxes for eight weeks.
- Samples of published journalism, copy editing or photojournalism are be required.
- Intern assignments can be with a daily or weekly news media organization in the Maryland, Delaware, and DC region. Assignment to a particular organization will be subject to the approval of the editor.
Submitting an Application:
- All applications must be submitted online.
- The open period to submit an application is October 7 - November 18, 2016.
- To submit an application, click here.
Items to gather prior to submitting the online application:
- 300-word essay describing your interest in a print journalism (and associated platforms) career
- 3 Professional references:
- References are due by November 18, 2016
- One reference must be a professor.
- One reference should be a faculty advisor (preferred) or editor of college news organization.
- Please provide this link to your references: http://bit.ly/2eraC9o
- References from fellow students or relatives will not be accepted.
- For Copy Editor or Reporting applicants, 3-5 writing samples of your news writing:
- must use PDF file-type
- published with your by-line or verification from editor
- work submitted for credit in college news writing course may use in lieu of published writing samples (please specify course, instructor, where course was taken).
- For Photojournalism applicants:
- 5+ photographs made on a newspaper or classroom assignment
- Writing samples (if desired, not required)
Finalists for 2016 internships will be notified by mid-December and must attend an in-person interview with the Intern Selection Committee in late December or early January.
Dates and Deadlines:
Application Submission Period: October 7, 2016 through November 18, 2016
Finalist Notifications: Mid to late December 2016
In-Person Interviews: late December 2016 - early January 2017
Intern Notifications: February - March 2017
Please contact Rebecca Snyder with any questions.
The Reese Cleghorn Internship program is supported by the Maryland-Delaware-DC Press Foundation. For more information on the Press Foundation, please click here.