Michael S. Powell High School Journalist of the Year Application
MDDC’s Michael S. Powell High School Journalist of the Year honors an outstanding senior staff member of a Maryland, Delaware, or District of Columbia high school newspaper with a $1,500 cash scholarship.
DEADLINE FOR ENTRIES IS FEBRUARY 10, 2017.
STUDENTS: Apply for scholarship here.
ADVISORS: Submit a reference here.
- Must be a high-school senior and resident of Maryland, Delaware or the District of Columbia.
- Work on a high-school newspaper.
- Ideal candidate plans to study journalism after high school.
Submitting an Application:
- The online application period is open until February 10, 2017.
- To access the online application, please click here.
Please gather the following pieces prior to submitting the online application:
- An essay outlining your personal newspaper publication activities and accomplishments; include the impact and important aspects of scholastic journalism as it relates to you.
- Advisor recommendation:
- Letter of recommendation is due by February 10, 2017.
- Please provide this link to your advisor: http://bit.ly/208WHWm
- 5 writing samples of your news writing:
- must use PDF file-type
- published with your by-line or verification from editor
- demonstrating journalistic skill and versatility
All applications will be reviewed by the Press Association’s Scholarship Selection Committee, comprised of regional news media editors. The winner will be notified in March.
The winner will be honored during MDDC’s Editorial Contest Awards program May 12, 2017.
Please contact Rebecca Snyder with any questions.
The Powell Scholarship program is supported by the Maryland-Delaware-DC Press Foundation. For more information on the Press Foundation, please click here.