Editorial Contest Rules
Rules for 2015 Editorial Contest
Download contest packet here.
- A signed Declaration of Originality (found on page 7 of this packet) and payment for all entries must be sent to the MDDC office. The mailing address is: MDDC Press Association, 60 West Street, Suite 107, Annapolis, MD 21401; or email to email@example.com.
- Entries must be original, must not have appeared in other publications, and must have been published between January 1 and December 31, 2015. Entries must include publication date. Any material that appeared in member publications during the contest cycle is eligible.
- Online and affiliate member publications of MDDC are eligible to participate in online categories E32-E40.
- All entries to the online categories (E32-E40) are to be judged “live” online and must be made available to the judges as such, even if they are no longer available to the public. Judging will take place in February and March 2016. Entries need to be accessible during that time. If your website has a paywall to view stories, you must provide MDDC with log-in credentials for judging access.
- Entries may list a maximum of three individual names. Entries involving more than three staffers must be listed as a group or department. For example: “News Staff”, “Art Department”, or “Sports Staff”.
- Participating news organizations must have paid their association membership dues for the contest year (2015) and be current for 2016 by the time of the Editorial Contest Awards Luncheon. A news organization must be an active member of the MDDC Press Association to participate in the Editorial Contest, with the exception of online categories E32-E40 which are also open to affiliate members.
- Entries submitted in the incorrect division, if detected prior to judging, will be moved to the correct division. Otherwise, they are subject to disqualification. For contest purposes, non-daily divisions include papers published less than five times a week. Divisions are based on circulation figures filed by the publisher with the MDDC Press Association.
- The decisions of the judges are final. Judges may declare “no contest” if the category has insufficient entries. Fees will not be returned for categories deemed no contest.
- Individuals and teams are able to submit more than one entry in any category.
- Series that overlap two years in publication dates must be entered in the year the series concluded.
- Additional copies of certificates may be purchased after the Luncheon for $5.00 each.