Best Practices for Public Information Act management
Managing PIA requests can be a complex and time-consuming process. It is critical that public bodies put a strong process in place to manage requests, as the timelines for compliance are stricter as of October 1, 2015. These suggestions can create a more organized and thoughtful response to requesters.
For government & other public bodies:
- Log all requests when they come in, and update with the outcome of request. Once material is deemed public, this should streamline the process for multiple requesters as material will not have to be reviewed multiple times.
- Forward to the appropriate contact immediately upon receipt of request. Send acknowledgment of receipt to the requester.
- Keep track of your actual costs.
- Keep track of your requests and follow up with records custodian.
- Formulate your request with a specific information need in mind and strategize how to target that information in the public record.